Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I'm Still Looking For . . .


stencil1
Originally uploaded by misterbonkers
This student chalk board was purchased from an estate sale and I must have more than 20 of them left. They're the perfect canvas for stenciling.

The stencil was created from a photo of a girl I met on Match.com. I actually met her and some friends at a karaoke bar in Glendale called the Winchester Room. The place is a hoot and left me with an awesome story. You'll have to ask me in person to get all the low-down. Highlights of my very own Twilight Zone episode:
• I wore a sticker that said "I'm Looking For:" with a picture of the girl on it. Awesome!
• She looked nothing like the sticker.
• I got slapped on the back while ordering a drink from the bar. I turned around and yelled, "Cowboy!!"
• I played doubles pool with Cowboy and his tweaker friend. They kicked our ass!
• As I'm sitting with the group of friends, I'm disoriented and confused. I finally realize that the friend I'm sitting next to had written me twice on Match, and I hadn't responded. I felt I was being set up for some bizarre retaliation. It was just the oddest coincidence, though. The friend was from OC and the girl was from the Valley.
• The girl left early. When I asked if everything was OK, she told me she was getting her taxes done early the next day. Nice one; Damn you Uncle Sam!!

I think this stencil kicks ass. I made her photo hi-contrast in Photoshop. Next, I went through, making sure there were no islands that would make printing difficult. The hair highlights and part of the eye were from a separate stencil. I'm still using Adobe Streamline to turn my TIFFs into vector art. (Is there another way? It sucks because I have to use System 9 when using Streamline.) My Silhouette Digital Craft Cutter was used to cut the stencil out of index paper. They've created an Adobe Illustrator plug-in that gets the job done nicely. I used blue masking tape to define the boundaries, tearing the edges to give a more organic look. I think it's very successful . . . well, not the date . . . just the final product.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I'm getting my taxes done."

Is that what they call it these days? I can hear it now, the babe across the room, "Man, I'd LOVE to do her taxes!"

Cheers bro.

Anonymous said...

If one badish date lead to that artwork- well I say, more badish dates for you my friend- wait, that doesn't sound right???
:)

rachelsaysso said...

I bet she wished she looked just like the sticker. It's lovely.

Unknown said...

You are such a dork, I love that story.


But taxes.. sick burn!

Anonymous said...

um.. would I be late to the party if I said "Tax that ass!" HAW! But seriously tho, I kind of picture her coming harsh with the lipstick on the tooth and whatnot. Hey Now!

Nice box work, need to see in person. Out.

Matt