Friday, January 4, 2008

Lil' Shelf



I constructed this shelf the other day to hold my collection of 35 mm film canisters. Most, if not all, of them are Kodak, and they are made of tin. I've been buying these things for years at estate sales, but hadn't figured out what to do with them until now. I'm really interested in continuing to create works of assemblage. I've categorized my findings, so it is just a matter of choosing which pieces belong together and in which manner they might be altered, if any.

I took a lousy photo of the detail because it was raining today, and I couldn't shoot this in the outdoor light. But the front part of the shelf has knife marks cut in random directions. The wood stain darkened the marks in an interesting way. I'll be thinking how I might continue to use this technique.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hooray for shelves!!
looks good-

EM said...

you should put all your empties up there... yeah, that would be cool... and then you could open your windows and face your stereo speakers facing outward and play your music REALLY loud.