Saturday, September 22, 2007

GI Tin Fairy House


I was lucky enought to be a guest at a Tin Fairy House class held at Zinnia in South Pasadena. The class was taught by my good friend, Tyn, who will also instruct you in techniques for collage, image transfer, and the very unique "mini quilt." You can see some of her tin creations on her blog.

Tin houses begin with a small Altoids container. The goal is to create a 3-D effect by layering the imagery inside the box. I used an old GI photo, moss, cut out teeth, and an image transfered on to vinyl. Later, basic tin boxes are cut to create a "frame" for the box. Decorative brads can hold the layers of tin together creating a substantial look that is very satisfying. My lighting was completely shabby when I shot the piece. Looks like you'll have to attend a Happening to see its finer points.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I like the photo quality!
Thanks for the kind words!!

Anonymous said...

I've never quite understood the whole fairy house thing.... I saw something on the news recently about kids in New England running through the forest looking for the best places to build fairy houses. They showed a number of kinds of construction approaches/materials. I like the picture you've posted here, though. Are you going to post some more interesting art/projects soon? Would be happy to see what you have to share....