Thursday, August 2, 2007

Soft Sculpture



A few years back, I created a soft scuplture for a modular design assignment. I wanted to try and perfect the figures, and this is just the beginning. These are filled with rice, but I suppose stuffing might be a better idea. I'm just a bit too lazy to sit there and stuff them. The eyelets were another time saving device as I hate to hand sew ANYTHING! The technique I use to sew these leaves the tiniest opening (about half an inch.)

The uniqueness of this design might not be so apparent at first. These are donut shaped figures - which can't be sewn in the traditional right-facing fabric manner. I sew them in the same manner in which I sew scrunchies. (a bit hard to explain here) Won't someone please bring that fashion back?!?!? I love sewing those things!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look very interesting. I would like to see one in person. uh- and NO on the scrunchie thing.

annie said...

i used to take great pride in my scrunchies, especially color coding them to my outfits.
this looks like a lot of fun! can't wait to try plant boxing.

kari~* said...

it totally made me snot when i got to the scrunchie part...

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.