Monday, July 23, 2007

Back in Town (with some Examples)

I've been back from my Whitney trip for a few days, but it has really taken some time to recover. Thanks to Joe for sending out the email while I was away. (I know the message date confused some of you who knew I wasn't supposed to be around.) Let's take a look at what we'll be producing for the first Happening:




This example shows 2 different colors of paper pulp layered on top of each other, rolled flat, and then dried. Before layering, string was placed on one of the sheets. You might like the embossed look it has when it's all dry.



A similar example to the first one except this piece has bits of vellum mixed in to the white pulp. Vellum has a wax-like quality to it and doesn't completely pulverize in the blender.




Our final example shows a single-layer piece of handmade paper with bits of dried onion skin embedded within.






• Items you MUST bring:
Nothing (I'll have plenty of my own materials to share.)

• Items you MIGHT bring:
Old bath or hand towel (We'll use them in the papermaking process)
String or yarn in different colors
Postages stamps, old photos, dried flower petals, wire, flat odds and ends for embedding

That's about it. Hope to see you there! Don't worry if you'll be late or even if you can't make it. Address and directions are in the email.

5 comments:

HarmonyArt said...

Hi! Great 'Happening' yesterday. It was educational, fun, & resourceful. I was just curious to know if you could tell us how long the paper usually takes to air dry. Also, I wasn't watching when you and Tyn used the iron, so if you could explain that process a little bit, that'd be cool. Thanks!

Mike C. said...

When the paper is placed in the sun, it is dry within an hour or two. Don't stack the paper to dry - that will take too long. We just had you stack it for easier transportation.

The iron: The initial thought was that people would force the paper to dry faster since we were working mostly at night. We quickly saw that it would take far too long. (plus that iron didn't get very hot for some reason.)

I've had good luck with the iron when my paper was already somewhat dry. The biggest reason to use the iron is to get a smoother texture. I think a traditional ironing board won't suit your needs, though. You really need to use a hard/flat surface when pressing with the iron.

Thanks for making it out last night. Photos and write-up to follow.

Mike

HarmonyArt said...

Thanks Mike! When ironing, do you place anything in-between the paper and the iron?

Thanks,
Sarah Rose

Mike C. said...

I've used wax paper with good results. Tyn tried tin foil. I've even used regular printer paper.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting all of that together! It really was terrific.
The iron did finally get very hot, the thing was that the paper was just too wet so it wound up steaming it. The goog part was,iy made the paper very smooth- but you may have been able to achieve that by ironing it after. The paper that I made (because of bad transport on my part) came out kinda lumpy and did not iron out very much, but is still wonderful. My inclusions turned out to be a bit subtle- good learning experience.